UnissResearch

Logo Universitàegli studi di Sassari
titoli, abstracts, parole chiave >>>
Modulation of rat medial vestibular nucleus neurone activity by vasopressin and noradrenaline in vitro

Podda, Maria Vittoria and Johnston, Alexander R. and Tolu, Eusebio and Dutia, Mayank B. (2001) Modulation of rat medial vestibular nucleus neurone activity by vasopressin and noradrenaline in vitro. Neuroscience Letters, Vol. 298 (2), p. 91-94. ISSN 0304-3940. Article.

Full text not available from this repository.

DOI: 10.1016/S0304-3940(00)01750-X

Abstract

In the present study, we examined the effects of bath application of vasopressin and noradrenaline on the spontaneous tonic discharge of medial vestibular nucleus (MVN) neurones and investigated if there is an interaction between the two drugs in an in vitro slice preparation of the rat brainstem containing the MVN. The results showed that vasopressin did not affect the spontaneous discharge rate of MVN neurones when applied either as a 60 s pulse or when the drug continuously perfused the slice for a period of 10 min. In contrast, noradrenaline affected the spontaneous discharge rate of the majority of cells tested (53/60, 88%). Noradrenaline excited the majority (46/53, 87%) of MVN neurones through both α1 and β noradrenergic receptor-linked mechanisms. The remaining cells (7/53, 13%) were inhibited by noradrenaline through an α2 noradrenergic receptor-linked mechanism. Neither the excitatory nor inhibitory effects of noradrenaline were modified by vasopressin when the two drugs were applied together.

Item Type:Article
ID Code:620
Status:Published
Refereed:Yes
Uncontrolled Keywords:Vasopressin, noradrenaline, vestibular system, medial vestibular nucleus, in vitro, rat
Subjects:Area 05 - Scienze biologiche > BIO/09 Fisiologia
Divisions:001 Università di Sassari > 01 Dipartimenti > Scienze biomediche
Publisher:Elsevier Science Ireland
ISSN:0304-3940
Deposited On:18 Aug 2009 10:02

I documenti depositati in UnissResearch sono protetti dalle leggi che regolano il diritto d'autore

Repository Staff Only: item control page