titoli, abstracts, parole chiave >>>
Cytological and histological diagnosis of lung cancer in Sardinia and Italy in the 1990s

Pirina, Pietro and Budroni, Mario and Esposito, Susanna and Ostera, S. and Polo, M. F. and Santoru, Luigi and Madeddu, Giordano and Fois, Alessandro Giuseppe and Ginesu, Giorgio Carlo and Padua, G. and Tanda, Francesco and Ginesu, Francesco (2007) Cytological and histological diagnosis of lung cancer in Sardinia and Italy in the 1990s. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease, Vol. 67 (4), p. 179-183. ISSN 1122-0643. Article.

Full text not available from this repository.

Alternative URLs:

Abstract

Background. Up to 30-50% of all lung cancer cases remain without cyto-histological characterisation. The aim of our study was to evaluate retrospectively the proportion of histological and/or cytological diagnosis in patients with lung cancer in Sardinia.
Methods. Data was gathered by consulting the hospital registers and case notes of individual patients released from hospital with a diagnosis of Lung Cancer at all medical centres throughout Sardinia. In gathering patients’ data, we focused our attention on cytological and histological procedures through which allowed the lung cancer was diagnosed. Cancer Registries data was utilised to compare our data with national and Sassari province data.
Results. From 1991 to 1996 there was a total of 3146 lung cancer patients registered in Sardinia. 1902 patients (60.5%) had a histological diagnosis, 142 patients (4.5%) a cytological diagnosis while in 1102 patients (35%) the diagnosis was performed without any pathological validation.
Conclusions. Our study has shown that lung cancer diagnosis is supported by pathological verification in 65% of cases while in remaining 35% of patients the diagnosis is based only on clinical and radiological reports. In Italy data from Cancer Registries report the percentage of cyto- histological diagnosis to be 70% with the percentage of cytological diagnosis being higher than in Sardinia.

Item Type:Article
ID Code:4294
Status:Published
Refereed:Yes
Uncontrolled Keywords:Lung cancer, histological diagnosis, cytological diagnosis
Subjects:Area 06 - Scienze mediche > MED/10 Malattie dell'apparato respiratorio
Area 06 - Scienze mediche > MED/08 Anatomia patologica
Area 06 - Scienze mediche > MED/18 Chirurgia generale
Divisions:001 Università di Sassari > 03 Istituti > Clinica chirurgica generale e terapia chirurgica
001 Università di Sassari > 03 Istituti > Tisiologia e malattie dell'apparato respiratorio
001 Università di Sassari > 03 Istituti > Anatomia patologica
001 Università di Sassari > 03 Istituti > Malattie infettive e parassitarie
Publisher:Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri
ISSN:1122-0643
Deposited On:28 Jul 2010 17:35

I documenti depositati in UnissResearch sono protetti dalle leggi che regolano il diritto d'autore

Repository Staff Only: item control page